Saturday, September 16, 2006

Funny how 2 pink lines can mean so much!

Tomorrow is officially 6 weeks since I found out that I was pregnant. I hadnt even missed a period... just didnt feel right. I remember having some cramps but knowing I wasnt going to start my period. I took a test from the hospital on a hunch... and there were two pink lines there. I didnt even know if that was positive since the test didnt come with any results... I had to go online and look up that brand to see what two pink lines meant! And then I remember thinking... how many ways is my life about to change?

The scariest part was my doctor wanting me to have a blod HCG test. I went and had my blood drawn, which I truly hate... and I remember looking at the test order and seeing the reason for the blood test... "threatening miscarriage." Those were scary words considering that I was beginning to be excited about the thought of being a mom. And Shawn was so excited about becoming a father... I didnt want to get all happy about something, then have it go away. Though I know thats common... it was still scary to think of it in anything other than medical terms. But thankfully everything came back perfect and looked like everything was right where it should be progressing for 5 weeks....

In those early days of knowing we were pregnant it forced Shawn and I to talk about aspects of our relationship that we might not have even brought up for months or even years! But we had already talked about marriage before we knew we were pregnant, and we both agreed that it was a step we wanted to take. I have never been as happy with someone as I am with him... and we make a great team. He is my best friend, and someone I know I can always count on. I am so lucky to have him as my boyfriend and future husband.... and father of my child. His every moment is spent trying to make me happy or to ease the stresses of first trimester pregnancy. I have never had a man care for me the way he does, and it isnt something that he does because he feels obligated.... he truly likes to make me happy.

I think I pretty much knew for awhile that I would end up with Shawn. There was always this calm about our relationship... from the night we met over a year and a half ago at Gators Dockside we were just able to talk about absolutely everything. Then we were hanging out as friends and one night after bar hopping we were back at my house laying on my hammock swing and we kissed. We both knew we had crossed that "buddy" line, but neither one of us seemed to really care. The next day I had a barbeque at my house and we went next door to invite my new neighbors, and the girl asked if we were married. Shawn joked "not yet..." but it was the first time in a long time that the thought of marriage to someone didnt make me want to turn tail and run.

July 6th was when we officially became an exclusive couple. (Incidentally the date of my LMP...) We had been dating since April and it was as if we used that time to sort out all of our old relationship hangups. I loved spending time with him and knew that I wanted more, but I just wasnt ready for anything serious because I was still afraid to get my heart broken. We went to dinner on July 6th at Los Margaritas and we closed the place down! We sat there for hours and just talked about everything and nothing and laughed... and at one point the subject of "us" came up. Shawn told me that he didnt want to be with anyone else, and I felt the same way. We both agreed that it was silly that it had taken us so long to figure that out... but we were glad that we had gotten past our fears.

Since that moment we have been inseparable. We went and saw his brother in Orlando, then my parents and sister and brother in law in Bradenton... and havent spent one night apart that I wasnt at work.

We certainly werent planning to have a baby this soon... but it is very welcomed. Shawn is an amazing boyfriend and will make a wonderful husband and father. We share the same opinions on parenting and relationships.... and life, while it has taken an unexpected turn, has definitely put us a path that will make us both extremely happy.

It was a great experience to have Shawn there at my first doctors appointment. I had a transvaginal ultrasound and we could see some "smudges" floating around. Ive called the baby Smudge ever since. I have another appointment on Tuesday, and hopefully will hear the heartbeat! Shawn's uncle is my OB/GYN and Im keeping my fingers crossed that we can have another ultrasound and maybe see the baby again! It would be nice to know a more approximate due date... my last appointment I was told anywhere from April 12th to 17th.... way too big of a window for me! : )

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm so excited that you started blogging.... I can't wait to experience the next 7 months in my Smudge's life through you, like you did with Savannah. I love this baby so much already, even if s/he does have webbed fingers and toes. LOve to you three.

XXOO

Liz said...

July 6th is a great date... Ella was born that day (or rather Ella was yanked from my uterus that day...) That date can only bring great things.