Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sisters.... for Jenna

Here is an amazing thing I have recently discovered. Im not saying it isnt something Ive always known... but it is something that seems to finally make sense to me: I love my sister. I dont mean in that way that families have to love each other... more in the way that she is someone I completely respect, admire, and strive to be like.

Jenna took the path less taken these days. At 17 she met her husband, at 20 she was married. For me the entire concept of being married at 20 seemed like a prison sentence. She was pregnant at 22 and thrilled about the idea of being a mother. She wants to stay home and raise a family. Again, not something that ever appealed to me.

We were roommates in college, and I remember getting so frustrated with her, not understanding why Jenna didnt want to go out and party with us. I knew the bouncers at the coolest clubs, could always get in free wherever we wanted to go... but still she would rather stay home and talk to her now- husband on the phone. I didnt understand it at all.

But now, as I face this new chapter of my life, it amazes me how much more I understand my little sister who had crossed so many bridges before me. I thought I was completely satisfied with my life.... I have a great career, I am well respected by my peers, I am always surrounded by friends and have parties to go to and places to see and be seen. Then I meet Shawn... and all of a sudden I am my sister. I want to get married. I want to be a part of a family, to have that to come home to. I see him play with our puppy Allie and I realize what a wonderful father he will be. I have become my sister. I would love to be able to stay home and be a wife and mother that way, and I am so proud of my sister for doing as so few do and making that committment to her family.

When I found out I was pregnant I called Jenna and we talked for an hour, with me trying to figure out how to tell her. I feared being scolded... but instead when I did tell her she was so excited that Savannah would have a cousin so close in age. We were worried I may be miscarrying, and it was Jenna who called to see if everything turned out alright. She bought me my pregnancy journal, so every time I write in it I think of her doing the same when she was pregnant with Savannah.

As I make this new journey in life... travel down a road I didnt expect to be on... it is my sister who has become my source of guidance and inspiration. She takes after the other woman that I admire more than anything... our own mother... who have both done such a wonderful job raising daughters. It is amazing how strong of a bond family is.... and how planning for another member of the family brings everyone closer together.

For the first time in my life I can say that Jenna is not just my sister and my friend, but my best friend. She is the one who has been there for me even when I did not expect her to be. I am so grateful for this opportunity to get to know someone I have spent my entire life with in a different way.

1 comments:

Jenna said...

I hate it when you make me cry...