Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Day 10: Eighteen Months Old!

My dearest, darling Madalyn-
Today as I write this you have turned eighteen months. What a grown up age you have reached, and you remind me many times each day how you are your own little person and not a baby anymore. I hate to break it to you though, you will be 60 and I will still call you my baby.

Each day you amaze me in a different way. The words you speak, the phrases you put together, the games you play to amuse yourself. And of course, you are just like a typical toddler- full of the devil! But just when I want to throw my arms up in frustration, you look at me with this big toothy grin and squinty-eyed smile and I cant help but fall in love with you all over again.

You give hugs now, and let me tell you that there is no other feeling that can compare you you wrapping your arms around me. You will rub me on the arm or the back, or plant a kiss on my cheek when I least expect it and my heart will melt.

You have been a Daddy's girl from day one, there is no denying that. But there is nothing more special then me being able to see that bond develop between the two of you. You want to be like me, but you want so much to impress him. You want to dress up, wear jewelry and makeup, but you do it all so that you can flirt with your Daddy like a big girl. All those little boys better watch out because you are going to be quite the heartbreaker!

And just as soon as you get your "lipstick" (chapstick) on, you are ready to go out in the mud and show them what you are made of. For as much as you are a little girly girl, you are equally as much a little tomboy. You love to get dirty, to eat sand and play with the worms in the dirt. You love to throw balls and have even learned to kick them thanks to Daddy's little soccer lessons. And nothing brings you greater job and more laughter then chasing around Allie and Ava in the backyard.

You are quite smart, little one, and I love to see your mind work. You hear the refrains from Sesame Street come on in the mornings and you come running with the biggest smile to dance to the opening song. When we sing our A B Cs you watch my mouth as I form the letters so that you can try and sing along. Your favorite song is the one from Sesame Street this is on pretty much every other episode "Sing A Song." If that song comes on you dont hesitate to sing and dance along. And dance you will! You can shake your booty to the music, bob your head along and twirl. We leave music on all day and you love to dance to the various songs.

Right now you are curled up next to me on the couch. I know it is past your bedtime but I take comfort in cuddling with you right now, and in a few minutes you are going to resist when I try to put you to bed. This has been quite the battle lately, and it breaks my heart because as much as I need you to sleep alone in your bed, part of me misses having you curled up beside me as we sleep. There used to be a time when you loved to cuddle all the time, now you are much too independent to want to sit with Mommy all the time!

I love you Madalyn Jean, and my life has been so blessed since the moment I learned you would be a part of it. I loved you before I even met you, and there is no greater love than that of a mother for her daughter. Thank you for being the light in my life, and thank you for sharing these 18 months of joy and laughter with me and your father. '

Happy eighteen month birthday, darling!

Much Love,
Your Mommy

0 comments: