Friday, December 22, 2006

Glucola Screening

So this morning as I sit at my deck (I hate saying my desk! I hate light duty!) I get a call from my doctors office saying that I failed my Glucola test and that my sugar was 152 and 130 is the highest they can accept as "normal." So next week I have to go in for the 3 hour test.... which means sitting there and drinking that nasty stuff again and constantly getting my blood redrawn. The nurse said its not too much to worry about because I hadnt fasted before the first test.... but I HAD fasted, so I would get a more accurate result. So that makes it a little more worrisome...

And on top of that Im anemic! I expected to be, because I have been exhausted lately and doing small things wipes me out. So Im not at all surprised I have to start taking iron supplements.... just one more pill for me to have to swallow. They have to be taken 2 hours after a meal, and I need to make sure Im getting enough Vitamin C to help me absorb the iron.

Im honestly not really stressed about if I have gestational diabetes... just frustrated because i try to eat healthy and for the first time in my life I feel like my body is turning on me (probably because of dealing with my knee on top of all this!) If I have it, I have it... it just means I have to be even more careful about what I eat... and that really is not a big deal. It just means better meal planning and packing food when I come to work. I know it wont hurt her, and my doctor wont let me deliver vaginally if there is a chance it wont be safe for me or for her.... just my biggest pregnancy fear is having a C section and if I have GD it will increase the likelihood that I may need one. I think thats the biggest worry that I have.

I think I will go for the test next week. I wanted to go Tuesday because at least then Shawn could keep me company, but unfortunately they are closed so I will be sitting there by myself for 3 hours. Maybe I can bring a pillow and a blanket and take a nap!

0 comments: